Monday, July 14, 2014

First day, small victories, and prolonged patience

It was my first day to be an instructor today!

So I'm a Math instructor at a certain center and today is sort of my official first day (I was at the office on Friday but only sat there to observe and take note of all the facilities we have).

Came in the office 15 minutes earlier, because I don't want to be late. Scanned in and then was assigned to sit with someone first so that I could have another go at observing. For an hour I intently observed and took down more notes. Also it's the first day for me to wear the uniform assigned to us. Each of us were given a red and black shirt. I wore the black one today (there's no assignment of which to wear). 

On the second hour, the instructor I sat with gave me a kid to guide. I was glad to do so. The kid was a little girl maybe around 10 years old. She was really fast at what she does. I mean for a 10 year old doing percentages, that was great! I wasn't even aware of percentages when I was that age. I'm sure. Haha! We worked together for an hour, and she was pretty nice laughing at my jokes and actually trying not to be too shy anymore. 
An hour passed by again, then another kid was assigned to me. This time it was a little boy. I asked how to read his name first and then it felt a little awkward because I'm not a big fan of striking up conversations. So he went about answering his work book and I intently monitored his progress. I'd ask him questions occasionally.  Boy was I glad that the female instructor guiding me started to ask the boy about his summer break! It was like an ice breaker. I picked up on this easily and in the course of the remaining time we were together, I asked him about his weekend because he basically went to camp. At camp, he said he learned how to make a catapult out of sticks and a plastic spoon. Cool! Then I'd cut the sharing and ask him to continue working on his work book. We shared laughs and eventually he didn't feel too sleepy anymore. 

Today this is my little fulfillment. I am glad that somehow, I have helped these kids to learn something more today. I am looking forward to seeing more of them in the next days. I hope they come and sit with me! 

Also, I've noticed how my patience has gone from really short, to quite a longer one. I'm finally achieving a better perspective with this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment